Thursday, July 10, 2014

Compound Words (II)

    HELLO BLOGGERS!!!
As we have seen above, compound words are very common in Spanish and also in English. A compound word is made when two words are joined to form a new word. For example:
Bed + time = bedtime
Eye + sight = eyesight
    Previously, Spelling City provided a list of  this words, let review:

  



  In this list there were some words that I ignored. So I sought its Spanish translation.
        firefly (luciérnaga)                                  fingerprint (huella dactilar)
        handstand (parada de manos)                snowflake (copo de nieve)

                                     sunburn (quemadura de sol)
  






   
  
     Today we are presented with a new list, here it is: 
checkout--- caja (drawer, box, crate, case, cash)              outside--- fuera (out, on the outside, out-of-door)
somewhere--- en algún lugar (someplace)                         sidewalk--- acera (pavement, footpath, pathway)
downtown--- centro de la ciudad (city center, midtown)    textbook--- libro de texto (schoolbook)
bookmark--- marcapáginas                                              snowball--- bola de nieve
sunlight--- luz solar (sunshine)                                            flashlight--- linterna eléctrica
 


-The customers waited to pay at the checkout.
-We like to go outside to play in the yard.
-Let´s go somewhere different for dinner.
-I walk on the sidewalk, not in the street.
-I work downtown in the business district.
-I studied a chapter in my Science textbook.
-A bookmark saves my place in the novel.
-She packed ice into a snowball and threw it.
-Some plants like bright sunlight and others grow under shade.
-Carry a flashlight to illuminated the dark path.




   

     As always, I invite you to consult Speling City, this time in the Articles section, where you will deepen in terms of compound words. To do this, click HERE. However, I leave the next list, I hope you will be helpful to developed your vocabulary, as I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment