Saturday, June 14, 2014

Vivid Verbs

    Hi blogger friends! I had a great experience today, the lesson was about "vivid verbs". Then I looked for information  related to the topic and concluded that "vivid verbs" refer to highly descriptive words that convey meaning or action in a much stronger way. For example, sauntering describes the process of walking more vividly. Walking just refers to the process of physically moving at a walking pace. Sauntering describes a slower, more relaxed stroll. Using a vivid verb in speech or writing provides a much stronger description than using a generic or frequently used verb. Here are some examples of ways to make common verbs more vivid: 
walk= stroll, saunter, meander
make= fashion, build
run= gallop, race, speed 

 In Spellingcity. com there is a very interesting list of vivid verbs which are widely used:

1.I splashed my dad with water from the hose.

2.The worm wiggled its way back to the hole.

3.I dashed home quickly because I was late.

4.She sipped the hot tea with tiny tastes.

5.Heat melted the candy bar into warm sludge.

6.The pig snorted loudly through his snout.

7.They cuddled and held each other closely.

8.The snake hissed at its prey.

9.The children giggled at the clown´s antics.
                                                                         
10.I got on my kness and begged for more cake.

    I am sure this is interesting for those who are learning English, so I wanted to share it with you and also I will leave you this link if you want to expand your list of vivid verbs. Here and also here. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment